Selective high schools cater for the specific needs of high achieving gifted students who may otherwise be without sufficient classmates at their own academic and social level.
Selective schools help gifted and talent students to learn by grouping them with other gifted and talented students, teaching them in specialised ways and providing educational materials at the appropriate level. Selective high schools are unzoned so parents can apply regardless of where they live.
The NSW Department of Education High Performing Students Unit administers Year 7 placement in a selective high school. This is a separate process to that of specialist high schools such as performing arts or sports high schools.
Click on the links below to learn more about applying for Sydney Technical High School for Year 7 placement, and Years 8-11 placement.
Enrolment - Year 7
The application process for entry into an academically selective high school begins when the student is in Year 5, and is longer than the normal public high school enrolment process. Entrance to Year 7 is through an entrance test administered by the NSW Department of Education (DoE) High Performing Students Unit.
The application form is only available online. Please note that no late applications will be accepted. Applications are available for Year 5 students from October and need to be completed and submitted online by mid-November (exact dates are listed on the DoE website each year). The test is held at various locations across the state in the following March, when the student is in Year 6. Sample questions from past papers can also be downloaded from the High Performing Students Unit website.
Students will be selected according to their position on the results list, which is confidential and available only to the Principal of the chosen high school. There is no other waiting list, and there are no sibling rights.
Each year 150 boys are selected from this list for entry into Sydney Technical High School. Students are offered places on the basis of a rank-ordered composite score.
Students who wish to attend Sydney Technical High School must:
- Have been born in Australia;
- Possess an Australian or New Zealand passport; or
- Have Australian permanent residency status.
For more information on the selection process, visit the DoE website https://education.nsw.gov.au/public-schools/selective-high-schools-and-opportunity-classes/year-7
Enrolment - Years 8 to 11
Applications for places in Selective Schools for Years 8-11 are available from late June each year from the Department of Education (DoE) High Performing Students Unit website. STHS has its own additional application form which will be available at the same time. Applicants should complete BOTH forms to apply for Years 8-11.
Years 8, 9 and 10
Entrance to Years 8, 9 and 10 is through application with supporting evidence, plus an interview. Entry is dependent upon vacancies, usually only one or two each year as a place becomes vacant.
Entrance to Year 11 is through application with supporting evidence, an interview and a selection test. Approximately 10-15 students are accepted into Year 11 each year. Applicants are assessed for suitability on their application. Applicants may then be invited for interview and test.
- The High Performing Students Unit Application Form and STHS Application form can be downloaded from this page in late June, and need to be returned to the school office by late July.Please note - your application must consist of both parts:
- The High Performing Students Unit Application Form and
- The School Application Form for the particular academic year you wish to enter.
- Read the High Performing Students Unit Information Pack.
- Complete the High Performing Students Unit Application Form.
- Complete the STHS Application Form for the year in which you are applying.This form requests details in a number of areas of expertise, as well as detailing the documentation required: academic excellence, music, public speaking, debating, performance, sport, leadership, school service, community service, competitions, reasons for selecting Sydney Technical High School, personal qualities, other areas.
- Supply a copy of each of your last two School Reports, together with any other documents that support your application including NAPLAN results. Do not include originals with your application.
Return your application to the school no later than the deadline in late July.
Applications will be accepted in person or by post. Applications cannot be submitted by email or fax. Applications received by mail or in person will not be accepted after this date or time.
If vacancies exist, successful applicants will be offered a place in order of merit. If your application is successful you will be notified in writing. Year 11 applicants who are successful will be notified in writing as they will have to complete a test and interview at the school, usually in August.
For further information, access the following website:
Apply for a School Opal card or school travel pass
The School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS) provides eligible school students with free or subsidised travel from home to school.
The scheme includes:
- Free travel to and from home and school on approved metro, train, bus, ferry and light rail services during school term.
- Discounted travel on buses between home and school with a School Term Bus Pass.
- Free travel on NSW TrainLink Regional services and long distance coach services for boarding school students.
- Subsidised travel to and from school in private vehicles in areas where there is no public transport available.
Students with a disability who are unable to travel to and from school under the School Student Transport Scheme may be eligible for assistance under the Department of Education Assisted School Travel Program.
- They are a resident of NSW or an overseas student who is eligible for free government education,
- The straight line distance from their home address to school is more than 2 km, or
- The walking distance from home to school is 2.9 km or further.
Secondary school students who live too close to the school to be eligible for free travel may qualify for a School Term Bus Pass which provides bus travel at a discounted price for the whole school term.
To apply online for a Travel Pass, click on the following link: