Enrolment - Year 7
Each year 150 boys are selected for entry from a state-wide test administered by the NSW Department of Education High Performing Students Unit. Students are offered places on the basis of a rank-ordered composite score. Information is available from the following website:
Students who wish to attend Sydney Technical High School must:
- Have been born in Australia,
- Possess an Australian or New Zealand passport, or
- Have Australian permanent residency status.
Entrance to Year 7 is through an entrance test administered by the NSW Department of Education High Performing Students Unit.
- Applications are available for Year 5 students from primary schools in October and need to be returned to the primary school by mid-late November. Application forms and sample questions from past papers can also be downloaded from the High Performing Students Unit website.
- The test will be held at various locations across the state in March.
- Students will be selected according to their position on the results list, which is confidential and available only to the Principal of the chosen high school.
- There is no other waiting list.
- There are no sibling rights.
Enrolment - Years 8-11
Please read the instructions below thoroughly before submitting your application.
Applications for places in Selective Schools for Years 8-11 are available from late June each year from the Department of Education High Performing Students Unit website. STHS has its own Application Form which is available below. Applicants should complete BOTH forms to apply for Years 8-11.
For further information, access the following website:
Years 8, 9 and 10
Entrance to Years 8, 9 and 10 is through application with supporting evidence and an interview. Entry is dependent upon vacancies, usually only one or two each year as a place becomes vacant.
Entrance to Year 11 is through application with supporting evidence, an interview and a selection test. Approximately 10-15 students are accepted into Year 11 each year. Applicants are assessed for suitability on their application. Applicants may then be invited for interview and test.
- The school application forms can be downloaded below from 22 June 2018 and need to be returned to the office by 27 July 2018.
- The school application form requests details in a number of areas of expertise, as well as detailing the documentation required: academic excellence, music, public speaking, debating, performance, sport, leadership, school service, community service, competitions, reasons for selecting Sydney Technical High School, personal qualities, other areas.
- Click on the links below to download the required High Performing Students Unit Application Form and the Sydney Technical High School Application Form for next year.
- Please note - your application must consist of two parts:
- The High Performing Students Unit Application Form and
- The School Application Form for the particular academic year you wish to enter.
- High Performing Students Unit Application Form
- High Performing Students Unit Information Pack
- Application Form for students entering Year 8
- Application Form for students entering Year 9
- Application Form for students entering Year 10
- Application Form for students entering Year 11
Application and Selection Process Years 8-11
- Read the High Performing Students Unit Information Pack.
- Complete the High Performing Students Unit Application Form.
- Complete the STHS Application Form for the year in which you are applying.
- Supply a copy of each of your last two School Reports, together with any other documents that support your application including NAPLAN results. Do not include originals with your application.
Return your application to the school no later than 3.15pm on 27 July 2018.
Applications will be accepted in person or by post. Applications cannot be submitted by Email or fax.
Applications received by mail or in person will not be accepted after this date or time.
If vacancies exist, successful applicants will be offered a place in order of merit.
If your application is successful you will be notified in writing. Year 11 applicants who are successful will be notified in writing as they will have to complete a test and interview at the school on Tuesday 14 August 2018.