Selective high schools cater for the specific needs of high achieving gifted students who may otherwise be without sufficient classmates at their own academic and social level.
Selective schools help gifted and talent students to learn by grouping them with other gifted and talented students, teaching them in specialised ways and providing educational materials at the appropriate level. Selective high schools are unzoned so parents can apply regardless of where they live.
The NSW Department of Education High Performing Students Team administers Year 7 placement in a selective high school. This is a separate process to that of specialist high schools such as performing arts or sports high schools.
Students must be Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of Australia to attend a selective high school.
Click on the links below to learn more about applying for Sydney Technical High School for Year 7 placement, and Years 8-11 placement.
Enrolment - Year 7
The application process for entry into an academically selective high school begins when the student is in Year 5, and is longer than the normal public high school enrolment process. Entrance to Year 7 is through an entrance test administered by the NSW Department of Education (DoE) High Performing Students Team.
The application form is only available online. Please note that no late applications will be accepted. Applications are available for Year 5 students from October and need to be completed and submitted online by mid-November (exact dates are listed on the DoE website each year). The test is held at various locations across the state in the following March, when the student is in Year 6. Sample questions from past papers can also be downloaded from the High Performing Students Team website.
Students will be selected according to their position on the results list, which is confidential and available only to the Principal of the chosen high school. There is no other waiting list, and there are no sibling rights.
Each year 150 boys are selected from this list for entry into Sydney Technical High School. Students are offered places on the basis of a rank-ordered composite score.
Students who wish to attend Sydney Technical High School must:
- Be living in NSW at the beginning of the school year of entry
- Be an Australian citizen, a permanent resident of Australia or a New Zealand citizen to enrol in a Selective High School
For more information on the selection process, visit the DoE website https://education.nsw.gov.au/public-schools/selective-high-schools-and-opportunity-classes/year-7
Enrolments - Years 8 to 11
Enrolments for Years 8 to 11 for 2022 HAVE NOW CLOSED.
Enrolments for 2023 will commence mid-June 2022. More information will be available at a later date.
Apply for a School Opal card or school travel pass
The School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS) provides eligible school students with free or subsidised travel from home to school.
The scheme includes:
- Free travel to and from home and school on approved metro, train, bus, ferry and light rail services during school term.
- Discounted travel on buses between home and school with a School Term Bus Pass.
- Free travel on NSW TrainLink Regional services and long distance coach services for boarding school students.
- Subsidised travel to and from school in private vehicles in areas where there is no public transport available.
Students with a disability who are unable to travel to and from school under the School Student Transport Scheme may be eligible for assistance under the Department of Education Assisted School Travel Program.
- They are a resident of NSW or an overseas student who is eligible for free government education,
- The straight line distance from their home address to school is more than 2 km, or
- The walking distance from home to school is 2.9 km or further.
Secondary school students who live too close to the school to be eligible for free travel may qualify for a School Term Bus Pass which provides bus travel at a discounted price for the whole school term.
To apply online for a Travel Pass, click on the following link: